According to tradition, the bridge was called “ del garbo= courtesy” following the victorious battle of Montaperti in 1260, where the Asciano troops excelled especially in virtue and courage along the Sienese troops. According to other theories; the term could indicate some precious material (algarve) used by well off citizens , or it could refer to the structure of the bridge itself, as a matter of fact realized with courtesy.
Whatever the truth is, the existence of the bridge over the Ombrone River had been documented since the XIIIth century. Throughout the ages quite a few reconstructions, caused by the destructive nature of man, have been recorded. As a matter of fact the last reconstruction dates back to the 40s, following the detonation of the bridge by the retreating Germany Army.
Nowadays it’s made up by a single large arch under which flows the river, and in the centre stands a niche dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Luciano Francini, Stefano Roncucci
Via del Garbo, Asciano (Siena)
Tel. +39 0577 714450
Mobile: +39 348 0847875